The facilities maintenance (FM) department of a major Canadian retailer had recognized the need to move from a reactive work order processing team to a proactive bottom-line contributing team. The FM team requested TPG’s help in analyzing the current work effort and practices around servicing and maintaining store uptime to design a future state team.
- Prioritized list of opportunities targeted towards cost-optimal decision making
- Developed and piloted a deep dive analysis framework & tool kit for the FM team to use
- Identified quick wins and advisement of execution for near-term gains
- Recommended timing and resource requirements to execute on opportunities
- Recommended future state processes, framework, and FM team structure
The deep dive analysis framework and tool kit was validated on a deep dive of the display freezer/cooler units sub-categories, yielding $1.36M of potential annual savings. 11 additional deep dives have been completed, identifying $6.1M in annual spend reduction opportunities and diverting 8,404 work orders through 15 potential solutions. A recommended organization structure to enable and sustain future deep dives with a $9.1M 3 year net present value was presented.